ELON, N.C. –
The Towson University baseball team collected only three base hits in falling 6-1 to Elon Friday evening at Latham Park.
Elon 6, Towson 1
Towson (13-37, 6-13 CAA), Elon (29-21, 10-8 CAA)
Elon leads 1-0
Latham Park (Elon, N.C.)
How it Happened
- Trailing 2-0 in the third inning, the Tigers got a leadoff walk from Dirk Masters. He was sacrificed to second and took third on a wild pitch with one out. A pair of strikeouts ended the inning without the run scoring.
Inside the Box Score
- The Phoenix jumped out to an early lead as a leadoff single came around to score on a Ryan Ogren double. Ogren would then come in to score on a sacrifice fly.
- Elon doubled its lead in the fourth after a run-scoring double from Ty Adcock and a RBI single from Ogren.
- The Tigers got their only run of the game in the sixth as Richie Palacios drew a one-out walk and went to second on a wild pitch.
- Bill Lennox followed with a chopper out in front of the plate that was thrown high to first, allowing a hustling Palacios to score.
- Elon pushed the advantage to 6-1 in the home half of the sixth after a throwing error and a wild pitch allowed two runs to score.
- David Marriggi (3-7) took the loss after allowing six runs, four earned, on eight hits and three strikeouts over six innings.
- Kyle Brnovich (7-2) allowed an unearned run on one hit and eight strikeouts over seven innings to pick up the win.
The two teams play the middle game of the three-game series Saturday night at 6 p.m.